Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Basketball Season

So, it's the time of year for preseason basketball games to start. That means soon Colby will be watching a lot more TV. But, it also means that Braxton gets to try his hand at the game. Though, he is halfway done already, I will still keep you up to date with the hilarity of it all. I signed him up in August while we were out of town. And, because I was using a form online, I did not see that you could request a coach as well as your friends to be on your team. Therefore when it all started, all Braxton's friends are on one team, and he on another. And....his T-ball coach, who he had a blast with, is coaching a completely different team. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the coach he has. She is very patient with the 1st and 2nd graders on the team, but Braxton leaves the game crying if no one will pass him the ball. His T-ball coach would have made sure he toughened up. There's no crying in baseball! (Name that movie, and the actor who said it.) And there is no crying in T-ball or Basketball either. Next sport I will pay attention and read the entire city form before I fill it out and turn it in. Next, okay so this is Coed Basketball for 1st and 2nd graders. There is a 2nd grader on our team that is a complete ball hog! It is so frustrating to Colby and I, and Braxton and one other of his team mates. Okay, so you've played before, your dad practices with you all the time, your the tallest, and your coach is boring you with all the instruction for the other little guys. So what! Deal with it. The other thing is that his parents don't even take any steps to urge him to share possession of the ball. He only passes to his cousin, even if his cousin is surrounded with the entire opposing team. The rest of the team is open, but he refuses to see this. His parents just sit and talk, and let their other son play on the court during the game. Can you tell I am aggravated with the situation. His coach does her best yelling and waving her arms at the other open players on the team, but he knows he is the best player on the team, and the glory WILL be his! The first game was so hilarious to watch. The kids are all stealing the ball from their team mates, and passing without looking where they are throwing the ball. It's like watching a game of hot potato. They want the ball so bad, but then they get it and they panic to the point of trying to make a basket when they aren't even close or tossing it to someone else before the other team surrounds them. One of the dads on our team, films every game with his camera and just laughs and laughs. Oh, I cannot wait for next year. Hopefully Braxton will be taller, a better player, and a better sport as well.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own." We say that a lot at our house, but usually sub it in with other stuff like, "There's no crying in bed-making!"

Tanya said...

hee hee hee, yes, League of THeir Own, Tom Hanks. I'm getting that for Christmas.
Good luck with poor Braxton. We had a bit of a ball hog on the soccer team but the worst was the girl-bully. :P I laughed when Hunter kicked her and she went out. THat's right missy- he's gonna fight back even if you are a head taller!! Her parents didn't care either. O well....kids!