Saturday, August 8, 2009

Bountiful Baskets

So, I have been a non-existent blogger of late. I have no excuse. But, here is what I have been doing every other Saturday morning. My sister let me know about a produce co-op called Bountiful Baskets. I am in love with this now. We love produce in our home, but I hate paying for it when it goes bad in two days. Well, now I don't have to. I pay $15 for a laundry basket full of produce. They buy it direct from the farmers, and it is restaurant quality. I never know what I am going to get, it's like Christmas. It's also a great way to introduce my family to new fruits and veggies. You also have the option of adding on different things each time. Take for instance their 9-grain bread. We love it. It's "Great Harvest" quality without the cost. The slices are a bit smaller but it tastes awesome. And you get 5 loaves in a bag. So you keep one out, and freeze the rest. We need to buy it every two weeks because of how good it is. They always have the 9-grain bread, but often they offer different breads as well. Sometimes you can add on special packs, or whole cases of certain fruits or veggies.


So here's the run down:
First-time fee $3 ( Obviously you only have to pay this once.)
Regular Basket of Misc. Fruits and Vegetables $15
Online handling fee $1.50

Optional add-ons:
5 loaves of 9-grain bread $10
5 loaves of other breads $10
Specialty packs $7.50
Fruit/veggie cases featured that week $10


Here is what I have received since I have started Bountiful Baskets:

Saturday, July 11, 2009

1 head iceberg lettuce

1 cantaloupe

1 large bunch of broccoli

1 bag of potatoes

1 bag of carrots

5 small white onions

1 bunch of bananas

5 tomatoes

6 apricots

6 nectarines

14 plums

3 bags rainier cherries

5 loaves 9-grain bread

So my cost was $29.50: $15 basket, $3 first-time fee, $1.5 online handling, $10 for bread

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Italian Specialty Pack: $7.50
1 eggplant
2 red onions
1 yellow onion
3 garlic
1 8oz. container of mushrooms
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 bunch fresh rosemary
1 bunch fresh basil

Basket: $15.00
2 cantaloupe
1 bunch cauliflower
1 bunch celery
7 bananas
1 bunch asparagus
1 10 oz. strawberries
4 large tomatoes
4 peaches
10 gala apples
1 acorn squash
1 head of cabbage
1 bag green grapes

5 loaves 9-grain bread $10.00
5 loaves olive oil rounds $10.00
Online handling fee $1.50

Total: $44


Saturday, August 8, 2009



Basket: $15.00
11 bananas
10 large peaches
12 small pears
2 pints grape tomatoes
2 boxes of strawberries
1 box blueberries
2 head romaine lettuce
1 small bunch of broccoli
1 bunch of spinach
1 bunch green onions
1 bag of celery

Tropical Specialty Pack: $7.50
1 pineapple
1 coconut
3 mangoes
4 kiwi
5 small limes
1 bunch green (different variety) bananas

5 loaves 9-grain bread $10
Online handling fee $1.50

Total: $34

1 comment:

Rach said...

I so wish I'd gone this past time. That's some good stuff. I'll be going again next time. Thanks for letting me know about it.